Saturday, March 19, 2011

MAYA | Mexican | Shanghai

As I think about this place, I still yearn to eat the food here. In my more recent trips, I had decided that after traveling to Shanghai over nearly two years, it was time to start exploring some of the places that my colleagues were raving about. Ron kept raving about their guacomole & I decided it was time to test it out. So, one fine afternoon, I decided I was going to head to Maya, printed the directions from their web site: http://www.cosmogroup.cn/maya/and tried to tell the hotel concierge that this place existed and that he was to give the taxi guys directions!!

He wasn't quite sure it existed & skeptically directed my cabbie in the general direction. Sure enough, it is a minor bit tricky to find, as it is actually off the street inside an apartment complex - watch for the numbers and look for an entry gate to an apartment complex where there is a teeny sign proclaiming Maya is inside the complex. Once you find it, rest easy & get ready for an explosion of taste in your palate. Well, be also ready to shell out some RMB, as they are a tad bit pricey - this is, after all, the french quarter!



I decided I was going to munch on some nachos & salsa (stingy quantity), a garlic & jalapeno quesadilla & a unique chile relleno (with pumpkin & goat's cheese and a walnut & pomegranate reduction - whatever that is!). I have to say the food was plain blissful!! simple as that!! The garlic and jalapeno combination was certainly something to write about!! Made it worth the trip absolutely.



The Chile Relleno was the right combination, with promise of spice that isn't delivered and sweetness that is simply delicious!! Its a fusion like something I had never tasted before. I wiped the plate clean, resolving to come back, which I did with Ron. The next time when Ron & I came over, we tried the guacamole, which was reasonably OK (I think Charan & I make a better guac), some tacos - after having had tacos at several places, I have decided tacos aren't for the vegetarian palate. Somehow, when the person across from you is oohing & aahing, you just done get the sense that you are done justice!! We did end up ordering two plates of the garlic jalapeno quesadilla. It took considerable effort to leave.

A caution: The second time we were over, we found it a tad hard to find taxis to get back (given it was a bit late & there was some rain/ intense cold in the city). So, you may want to ask your host to call a cab for you instead. Another restaurants in the same area that is well acclaimed is the Mesa Manifesto.

No comments:

Post a Comment